My father-in-law loves strawberry shortcake so I thought this would be perfect. We all loved it and he said it was much better than what usually goes under the strawberries. I will definitely make again. Accidentally put 2 cups of cream in batter and it was just fine - better than fine, actually.
Cream Cake with Fresh Strawberries
A great way to use all those ripe berries. Prep and Cook Time: about 1 hour, plus at least 30 minutes to cool.
Yield: Makes 12 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 347
- Calories from fat: 52%
- Protein: 4.5g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 12g
- Carbohydrate: 46g
- Fiber: 1.8g
- Sodium: 210mg
- Cholesterol: 103mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups sugar, plus additional to taste for berries
- 2 1/2 cups whipping cream
- 2 large eggs
- 1 quart strawberries, sliced
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°. Grease a 9- by 13-inch pan. In a large bowl, mix flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, 1 1/2 cups cream, and eggs until smooth, creamy, and quite thick.
- 2. Pour batter into pan and bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, 35 to 45 minutes. Let cool at least 30 minutes before serving.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a large bowl, toss strawberries with sugar to taste and let stand for at least 20 minutes. Whip remaining cup cream to soft peaks. Serve cake topped with strawberries and their juices and whipped cream.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note