- 3/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 1 poblano chile pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 garlic cloves, pressed
- 2 pounds uncooked Arborio rice
- 3 quarts chicken broth
- 2 pounds cooked, peeled crawfish tails*
- 8 ounces Monterey Jack cheese with peppers, shredded
- 2 tablespoons Creole seasoning
- Garnishes: shredded Parmesan cheese, fresh Italian parsley sprigs
How to Make It
Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, poblano chile, and garlic, and saute until tender. Add rice, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 to 7 minutes. Add 1 cup chicken broth; cook, stirring constantly, until liquid is absorbed.
Repeat procedure with remaining broth, 1/2 cup at a time. (Cooking time is about 1 hour.) Stir in crawfish; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes. Add Monterey Jack cheese and Creole seasoning, stirring until cheese melts. Garnish, if desired.
Prep: 20 min.; Cook: 1 hr., 15 min.
*2 pounds cooked, peeled, medium-size shrimp may be substituted for crawfish.