- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped green bell pepper
- 2 jalapeño peppers, seeded and minced
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 3 large eggs
- 1 (14.75-oz.) can cream-style corn
- 1 1/2 cups grated Cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup chopped green onion
- 2 cups plain yellow cornmeal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Cajun seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 pound frozen, peeled crawfish tails, thawed and drained
How to Make It
Preheat oven to 400°. Heat a 10- to 12-inch (1 1/2-inch deep) cast-iron skillet in oven 15 minutes.
Meanwhile, melt butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and bell pepper; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Remove from heat. Stir in seeded and minced jalapeños.
Stir together milk, oil, and eggs in a large bowl. Stir in corn, cheese, onion mixture, and chopped green onion.
Stir together cornmeal and next 5 ingredients just until blended. Stir in milk mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened. Stir in crawfish. Pour into hot cast-iron skillet.
Bake at 400° for 45 minutes or until golden brown. Serve immediately.
Note: To make cornbread in a baking dish, prepare recipe as directed, beginning with Step Pour batter into a well greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Proceed with recipe as directed, increasing bake time to 50 minutes.
Shrimp Cornbread: Substitute 1 lb. unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp (31/35 count), peeled, deveined, and coarsely chopped, for crawfish. Proceed with recipe as directed.