- 3 celery ribs, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 lemon, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- 1/2 yellow onion, coarsely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups Crawfish Spice Mix
- Tejano Red Sauce, divided
- 5 1/2 pounds red new potatoes (about 30)
- 6 (1/4-lb.) andouille sausage links
- 6 ears fresh corn, cut in half
- 20 pounds live fresh crawfish, purged (see Crawfish Connection, below)*
How to Make It
Pour 3 1/4 gal. water into a 7 1/2-gal. heavy stockpot; add celery, lemon, onion, spice mix, and 1 1/2 cups red sauce. Bring to a boil; add potatoes. Boil 20 minutes or until potatoes can be pierced easily with a knife. Transfer potatoes to a large, clean cooler to keep warm. Add sausage to pot; boil 5 minutes. Add corn; boil 5 minutes. Transfer sausage and corn to cooler.
Add half of crawfish to stockpot; boil 8 to 10 minutes or until crawfish tails curl. Transfer crawfish to a large bowl; toss with desired amount of Tejano Red Sauce. Transfer to cooler. Repeat boiling procedure with remaining crawfish. Serve with corn, sausage, and potatoes.
*6 to 8 lb. unpeeled, large raw shrimp may be substituted. Boil 3 minutes or just until shrimp turn pink.
CRAWFISH CONNECTION: ORDER, CLEAN, BOIL Order direct from lacrawfish.com or cajungrocer.com, and figure on 2 lb. live crawfish per person. To purge crawfish of mud and debris, place them a 48-qt. cooler with a pourable spout. Add cold water and 2 cups salt. Gently stir crawfish; let stand 3 minutes. Open spout, tilt cooler, and rinse crawfish with a steady stream of cold water until water runs clear.