I used fresh frozen defrosted cranberries and they worked well. May try plums next. Cake was delicious, used ice cream, but felt it hid the flavor a bit, and next time will serve with fresh whipped cream or just a glass of milk. Husband and I liked the praline affect of the pecans and brown sugar a bit crunchy. Real butter flavor very noticeable. I whipped the egg whites before mixing the other wet ingredients so I would not have to get out the other mixer or wash beaters in between, and it was fine. Also some topping stuck in pan while flipping, which I just scooped back on, but some buttered or sprayed parchment paper in the bottom might help. Rmiller, you might buy an inexpensive oven thermometer to check your temp. Before mine was re-calibrated it ran 20 degrees cooler than it should have, so I had to adjust my temps. Or at least test center with a fingertip to be sure it is done, cook longer if not.
Cranberry Upside-Down Cake with Cognac Cream
Randy Mayor; Lydia DeGaris-Pursell
Yield: 9 servings (serving size: 1 cake piece and about 2 tablespoons cognac cream)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 316
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Fat: 10.2g
- Saturated fat: 4.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 4.3g
- Carbohydrate: 51.7g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 65mg
- Iron: 1.5mg
- Sodium: 210mg
- Calcium: 88mg
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans, toasted
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh cranberries
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup fat-free milk
- 2 large egg whites
- 1 cup frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed
- 1 tablespoon cognac
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Pour melted butter into an 8-inch square baking pan coated with cooking spray; sprinkle with brown sugar. Bake at 350° for 2 minutes. Remove from oven, and top with pecans and cranberries.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with knife. Combine flour, baking powder, and salt in a bowl; stir with whisk.
- Place sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add egg yolks, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition. Stir in vanilla.
- Add flour mixture and milk alternately to butter mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture; mix after each addition. Beat the egg whites with a mixer at high speed until stiff peaks form using clean, dry beaters; fold into batter.
- Spread batter over cranberries. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Cool in pan for 5 minutes on a wire rack. Loosen edges of cake with a sharp knife. Place a plate upside down on top of cake pan; invert onto plate.
- Combine whipped topping and cognac, and serve with warm cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cranberry Upside-Down Cake with Cognac Cream Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This