Cranberry Upside Down Cake
Use 9 inch round baking pan with 2+ inch sides, not a spring form pan. Baking times will vary, depending on the brand of flour, size of pan, thickness of sour cream. The batter should be gloppy, not runny, so add a little more flour to get to gloppy if your batter is too thin. Some readers have needed to cook this cake longer than the baking times indicated, so definitely test before turning out! From Simplyrecipes.com
Share Your Personal Recipes
You can now share your personal recipes with the MyRecipes Community by making a new or existing recipe "Public".
Go to My Recipe File
- 1/2 stick(s) butter unsalted
- 3/4 cup(s) brown sugar firmly packed
- 1 1/2 bag(s) fresh cranberries
- 1 3/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoon(s) baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) salt
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon(s) cinnamon
- pinch(s) ground cloves
- 1 1/2 cup(s) sugar
- 1 stick(s) butter room temperature
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon(s) orange zest
- 1/2 cup(s) sour cream or greek yogurt
- 1/4 cup(s) milk
- 1 Generously butter the bottom and sides of a 9-inch diameter cake pan.
- 2 In a small saucepan, place the 1/4 cup of butter and the 3/4 cups of packed brown sugar. On medium high heat, stir the sugar as the butter melts. Once the butter is melted and mixed in well with the sugar, stop stirring and let the mixture simmer for 15 seconds or so.
- 3 Pour the brown sugar butter mixture into the prepared cake pan. Spread the cranberries on top of the sugar butter mixture.
- 4 Preheat oven to 350°F. In a medium bowl vigorously whisk together the flour, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, ginger, and cloves.
- 5 In a separate bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter until light. Add the sugar and beat together the sugar and butter until fluffy. Add the eggs one at a time, beating after each addition. Stir in the orange zest.
- 6 Mix a third of the dry ingredients into the mixture. Beat in half of the sour cream. Mix in another third of the dry ingredients. Mix in the remaining sour cream. Beat in the remaining dry ingredients and then the milk.
- 7 Pour batter over the cranberries in the cake pan, and smooth the surface. Place in the preheated oven and lower the heat from 350°F to 325°F. Bake until a tester comes out clean, 55 minutes to an hour. Cool cake in the pan on a rack for 10 minutes. Run a blunt knife around the inside rim of the cake pan to loosen the cake from the sides of the pan. Then turn the cake out onto a platter.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by VictoriaH and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note