A trip to New York inspired Jeannie Lee to develop this cranberry-filled variation on the favorite flaky pastry. Use any leftover cranberry filling as you would a cranberry relish or jam.
Yield: Makes 4 dozen cookies
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 111
- Calories from fat: 50%
- Protein: 1.2g
- Fat: 6.1g
- Saturated fat: 3.6g
- Carbohydrate: 13g
- Fiber: 0.4g
- Sodium: 53mg
- Cholesterol: 19mg
- About 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 6 ounces cream cheese, at room temperature
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- About 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- Cranberry Filling (recipe follows)
- 1/3 cup chopped white chocolate (2 oz.)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1. In a large bowl, with a mixer on medium speed, beat 1 cup butter, cream cheese, and vanilla until smooth. Add 1/3 cup granulated sugar and the brown sugar and beat until very smooth.
- 2. In a medium bowl, mix 2 1/4 cups flour, 1 teaspoon cinnamon, and cloves. Add to butter mixture, stir to mix, then beat until well blended. Divide dough into thirds and flatten each into a disk. Wrap each in plastic wrap and freeze until firm, about 45 minutes.
- 3. With a floured rolling pin, on a lightly floured surface, roll one disk at a time into a 1/8-inch-thick round about 12 inches in diameter. Spread each evenly with about 1/2 cup Cranberry Filling, then sprinkle with a third of the chopped white chocolate and a third of the walnuts. Cut each round into 16 wedges. Starting at the wide end, roll each wedge around filling; bend each roll slightly into a crescent. Place cookies about 1 inch apart on buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheets.
- 4. In a small bowl, beat egg yolk and milk to blend. In another small bowl, mix remaining 1/3 cup granulated sugar and 1 teaspoon cinnamon. Brush cookies lightly with egg mixture and sprinkle with cinnamon sugar; discard any remaining egg mixture and save cinnamon sugar for other uses.
- 5. Bake cookies in a 350° regular or convection oven until golden brown, 20 to 25 minutes; if baking two sheets at once in one oven, switch their positions halfway through baking. Let cookies cool on sheets for 5 minutes, then use a wide spatula to transfer to racks to cool completely.
- Cranberry Filling: In a food processor, whirl 2 1/2 cups fresh cranberries (sorted and rinsed) or thawed frozen cranberries, 3 tablespoons minced fresh ginger, and 1 orange, rinsed and quartered (seeds discarded), until smooth. Scrape into a 3- to 4-quart pan and add 1/2 cup sugar; stir often over medium heat until sugar is dissolved and mixture is reduced to about 2 cups, about 10 minutes. Chill until cool, about 30 minutes.
- Nutritional analysis per cookie.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note