Cranberry-Pecan Cake Batter
More From Southern Living
- 1 (6-ounce) package sweetened dried cranberries
- Boiling water
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 6 large eggs
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 (8-ounce) container sour cream
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup finely chopped, toasted pecans
- 2 tablespoons grated orange rind
- Soak dried cranberries in boiling water to cover for 10 minutes. Drain well, and press gently between paper towels. Pulse 4 to 5 times in a food processor or until finely chopped.
- Beat butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add sugar, beating until light and fluffy. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating just until blended after each addition.
- Stir together flour and baking soda. Add to butter mixture alternately with sour cream, beating at low speed just until blended, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Stir in vanilla; stir in finely chopped cranberries, pecans, and grated orange rind. Use batter immediately, following baking directions for desired cake in "Pick a Pan" below.
- Pick a Pan: Cranberry-Pecan Cake Batter can be baked in lots of different shapes and sizes--just use these times as a guideline, and be sure to grease and flour your pans. With smaller muffin pans and molds, we found it easier to use a vegetable cooking spray with flour. Check for doneness at the minimum time range, continuing to bake until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Variations with added fruit and nuts will require the maximum time and yield more mini cakes.
- Bake at 325° in 1 (12-cup) tube pan for 1 hour and 15 minutes to 1 hour and 30 minutes.
- Bake at 325° in 3 (8- x 4-inch) loaf pans for 55 to 65 minutes.
- Bake at 325° in 7 to 9 (5- x 3-inch) loaf pans for 25 to 35 minutes.
- Bake at 325° in baby Bundt pans for 25 to 30 minutes. Makes 14 to 16 baby Bundt cakes. (Spoon 1/2 cup batter in each 1-cup mold.)
- Bake at 350° in muffin pans 23 to 28 minutes. Makes 32 to 38 cupcakes.
- Bake at 350° in miniature muffin pans for 9 to 11 minutes. Makes about 9 to 10 dozen cupcakes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note