Excellent mix of flavors in a deliciously smooth dough. And I love the fact that I can make a double batch and freeze some for baking later!
Cranberry-Orange Shortbread Cookies
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 15 Minutes
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 3/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Wax paper
- 1. Beat 1 cup softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy. Gradually add 3/4 cup powdered sugar, beating until smooth. Stir in chopped cranberries, orange zest, vanilla extract, and almond extract until blended.
- 2. Stir together 2 cups flour, 1/4 tsp. baking powder, and 1/8 tsp. salt.
- 3. Gradually add flour mixture to butter mixture, beating at low speed until blended.
- 4. Shape shortbread dough into 2 (7-inch) logs. Wrap each log in wax paper, and chill 4 hours, or freeze logs in zip-top plastic freezer bags up to 1 month.
- 5. Preheat oven to 350°.
- 6. If frozen, let logs stand at room temperature 10 minutes. Cut each log into 24 slices. Place shortbread slices 1 inch apart on lightly greased or parchment paper-lined baking sheets.
- 7. Bake shortbread slices at 350° for 10 to 12 minutes or until edges of slices are golden.
- 8. Remove shortbread from baking sheets, and place on wire racks; let cool completely (about 20 minutes). Store in airtight containers.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note