I made once true to the recipe and they were very dry and terrible. Plus, they were way too tart. These were amazing after I made a few adjustments. READ! These few things revamped these muffins: for dry ingredients: use full 3/4 cups of sugar and an additional tablespoon as well as, use 2 tsp of baking powder per the tsp of baking power for every cup of flower rule; for the wet ingredients: I used closer to a cup of store bought squeezed orange juice, and I chopped the fresh cranberries I used and soaked them in the orange juice I planned to use for the recipe with close to a tablespoon of sugar for approximately 30 minutes while I finished everything else. I added just the juice form the cranberry soak to the oil, egg, and the rind. I also used the entire rind of a large orange, which was closer to about a 1-1/2 TBS. Additionally, I used an extra 2 tablespoons of oil. They are so great! I hope this helps!
Bake these cranberry orange muffins a day ahead, and once they've cooled, store in an airtight container. Freeze any leftovers in heavy-duty zip-top plastic bags.
Yield: 16 servings (serving size: 1 muffin)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 169
- Calories from fat: 30%
- Fat: 5.6g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 2.4g
- Protein: 2.5g
- Carbohydrate: 27.9g
- Fiber: 1.3g
- Cholesterol: 2.4mg
- Iron: 1mg
- Sodium: 236mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour (about 9 ounces)
- 1 cup sugar, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 3/4 cup orange juice (about 1 large orange)
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 cups coarsely chopped fresh cranberries (about 8 ounces)
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Set aside 1 tablespoon sugar. Combine flour, remaining sugar, baking powder, salt, and baking soda in a large bowl; make a well in center of mixture.
- Combine rind, juice, oil, and egg in a small bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist. Fold in cranberries and walnuts. Spoon batter into 16 muffin cups coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle evenly with reserved sugar. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until the muffins spring back when touched lightly in center. Run a knife or spatula around outer edge of each muffin cup. Carefully remove each muffin; place on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads