Wow, this is a great cake! It's more of an Italian-style cake--crumbly, scented, delicate--than a thick moist American cake. My only changes were to skip the glaze in favor of a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a small scoop of vanilla ice cream on the side and to use orange liqueur (Cointreau--expensive, but no Triple Sec in the house) to soak the dried cranberries and as an addition (2 tsp) to the cream cheese filling. I also did not cool the cream cheese filling; it was easy to drizzle evenly onto the split cake and I think it might be a lot harder to spread it on when cool. This was a perfect ending to a birthday dinner featuring chicken piccata and spinach fetuccini with an artichoke salad. Very sophisticated, as the CL article says!
Cranberry-Orange Gâteau with Cream-Cheese Filling
Photography: Randy Mayor; Styling: Melanie J. Clarke
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 329
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 8.3g
- Saturated fat: 5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.7g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrate: 58.8g
- Fiber: 1.2g
- Cholesterol: 44mg
- Iron: 1.2mg
- Sodium: 298mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 tablespoons yellow cornmeal
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 2 teaspoons grated orange rind
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg white
- 1/2 cup fat-free buttermilk
- 1/4 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2/3 cup dried cranberries
- Cooking spray
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 ounces) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, softened
- 2 teaspoons fresh orange juice
- 1 cup sifted powdered sugar
- 1 1/2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- To prepare cake, lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a bowl, stirring well with a whisk.
- Place granulated sugar and butter in a large bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended (about 2 minutes). Add rind; beat to combine. Add egg and egg white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Combine buttermilk and ricotta, stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture and buttermilk mixture alternately to sugar mixture, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Fold in cranberries. Spoon batter into a 9-inch round cake pan coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool completely on wire rack.
- To prepare filling, place 1 cup powdered sugar and cream cheese in a bowl; beat with a mixer at medium speed until well blended. Add 2 teaspoons orange juice, and beat to combine. Cover and chill 30 minutes.
- To prepare glaze, combine 1 cup powdered sugar and 1 1/2 tablespoons orange juice, stirring well with a whisk.
- Split cooled cake in half horizontally using a serrated knife; place bottom layer, cut side up, on a plate. Spread filling over cake layer. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down. Spread glaze over cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts