I changed the filling to: 1C chopped walnuts, 1C Cranberries, 2T maple syrup, 2T brown sugar, 2T flour, 1 T grated orange rind, 1 large egg white, beaten. No sour cream or vanilla. Mix all of this together, then simply mix it into the 'crust'. Spread in 11 x 7 pan, bake at 325 for 25 min. Absolutely delicious!!!
Photo: Becky Luigart-Stayner; Styling: Cindy Barr, Jan Gautro, Leigh Ann Ross
These cranberry-oatmeal bar cookies strike a nice flavor balance: not too sweet and not too tart. Be sure to zest the orange before you squeeze the juice.
Yield: 24 servings (serving size: 1 square)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 133
- Calories from fat: 31%
- Fat: 4.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.2g
- Protein: 1.5g
- Carbohydrate: 21.9g
- Fiber: 0.9g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 0.6mg
- Sodium: 67mg
- Calcium: 20mg
- 4.5 ounces all-purpose flour (about 1 cup)
- 1 cup quick-cooking oats
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- Cooking spray
- 1 1/3 cups dried cranberries (about 6 ounces)
- 3/4 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 1 large egg white, lightly beaten
- 1. Preheat oven to 325°.
- 2. To prepare crust, weigh or lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 5 ingredients (through cinnamon) in a medium bowl, stirring well with a whisk. Drizzle butter and juice over flour mixture, stirring until moistened (mixture will be crumbly). Reserve 1/2 cup oat mixture. Press remaining oat mixture into the bottom of an 11 x 7-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- 3. To prepare filling, combine cranberries, sour cream, granulated sugar, and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl, stirring well. Spread cranberry mixture over prepared crust; sprinkle reserved oat mixture evenly over filling. Bake at 325° for 40 minutes or until edges are golden. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack.
- Cherry-Oatmeal Bars: Substitute dried cherries for the dried cranberries and lemon rind for the orange rind in filling.
- CALORIES 135 (31% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 2.6g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 1.7g; CARB 21.5g; FIBER 1.3g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 0.7mg; SODIUM 68mg; CALC 27mg
- Maple-Date-Oatmeal Bars: Substitute chopped pitted dates for the dried cranberries. Omit granulated sugar from filling, and add 2 tablespoons maple syrup and 2 tablespoons brown sugar.
- CALORIES 124 (33% from fat); FAT 4.6g (sat 2.6g, mono 0.8g, poly 0.2g); PROTEIN 1.7g; CARB 19.8g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 13mg; IRON 0.7mg; SODIUM 68mg; CALC 26mg
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note