Cranberry Meringue Pie
- 1/2 (15-ounce) package refrigerated piecrusts
- 2 (12-ounce) packages fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/3 cup cranberry-apple juice drink
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lime rind
- Fit piecrust into a 9" pieplate according to package directions; fold edges under, and crimp. Prick crust.
- Bake at 450° for 8 minutes or until golden. Remove from oven, and cool completely. Reduce oven temperature to 325º.
- Combine cranberries, 1 cup sugar, cranberry-apple juice drink, and salt in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, over medium heat, stirring often, 5 to 7 minutes or until cranberry skins pop. Pour cranberries through a wire-mesh strainer into a bowl; discard solids.
- Return cranberry mixture to saucepan. Combine cornstarch and water; stir into cranberry mixture. Add ginger. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat, and cook 1 minute, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in butter and vanilla.
- Beat egg whites and cream of tartar at high speed with an electric mixer until foamy. Add 1/3 cup sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form and sugar dissolves (2 to 4 minutes). Add lime rind, beating just until blended.
- Pour hot cranberry filling into prepared crust. Spread meringue over hot filling, sealing to edge of pastry.
- Bake at 325° for 25 to 27 minutes or until meringue is golden. Cool completely on a wire rack.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This