Cranberry Jam Tart
Notes: You can make the jam mixture (step 1) and the dough (step 2) for this tart up to 3 days ahead; cover separately and chill.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 604
- Calories from fat: 37%
- Protein: 5.1g
- Fat: 25g
- Saturated fat: 15g
- Carbohydrate: 94g
- Fiber: 2.8g
- Sodium: 380mg
- Cholesterol: 115mg
- 12 ounces fresh or thawed frozen cranberries
- About 1 3/4 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup apple juice
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3/4 cup raspberry jam (about 6 oz.)
- 1 cup (1/2 lb.) butter, at room temperature
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1. Sort cranberries, discarding any stems and bruised or decayed fruit; rinse and drain berries. In a 3- to 4-quart pan over medium heat, stir cranberries, 1 cup sugar, apple juice, and lemon juice occasionally until berries have broken down and released their juices and mixture is bubbly, 10 to 15 minutes. Stir in jam and cook 1 minute longer. Whirl mixture in a blender or food processor until smooth. Press through a fine strainer into a bowl, extracting as much liquid as possible with the back of a spoon or a spatula; discard seeds and skins. Cover and chill until cold, at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days (see notes).
- 2. With a mixer, beat butter with 3/4 cup sugar until smooth; beat in egg yolks. Stir in flour, baking powder, and salt until well blended. Divide dough into two slightly unequal portions. Wrap the larger portion in plastic and flatten into a rectangular shape. Press the smaller portion over bottom and up sides, to rim, of a 9-inch fluted tart pan with removable rim. Chill wrapped dough and tart shell until firm, at least 1 hour, or up to 3 days (see notes).
- 3. Spoon jam mixture into tart shell and spread level.
- 4. Unwrap the second portion of dough and place on a lightly floured surface. With a lightly floured rolling pin, roll out dough into a shape that closely approximates an 8- by 10-inch rectangle. With a knife or fluted cutter, cut dough into eight 1- by 10-inch strips. Arrange four strips over filling about 1 inch apart. Place remaining strips over tart at a 45° angle to the first set of strips. Trim edges flush with dough in pan. Sprinkle top of tart lightly with sugar.
- 5. Place tart on an uninsulated baking sheet and bake on the lower rack of a 350° regular or convection oven, rotating tart halfway through baking time, until top is golden brown, 35 to 40 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note