- 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lemon rind
- 3/4 cup water
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cut into pieces
- 1 (2.7-ounce) jar crystallized ginger, finely chopped (1/2 cup)
- 1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine, softened
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
How to Make It
Stir together first 4 ingredients in a saucepan; stir in water. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 25 minutes or until cranberry skins pop and mixture is thickened. Remove from heat; set aside to cool.
Combine 3/4 cup flour, 1/4 cup sugar, and 1/4 cup butter with a pastry blender until crumbly. Stir in ginger; set aside.
Beat cream cheese and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until creamy; gradually add 3/4 cup sugar, beating well. Add eggs, 1 at a time, beating until blended after each addition.
Combine 2 cups flour and next 3 ingredients; add to cream cheese mixture alternately with milk, beginning and ending with flour mixture. Beat at low speed until blended after each addition. Stir in vanilla. Spoon half of batter into a greased 13" x 9" pan. Spread reserved cranberry mixture over batter. Drop remaining batter by rounded tablespoonfuls over cranberry mixture. Sprinkle with ginger topping.
Bake at 350° for 32 to 35 minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan on a wire rack.