Super good and gets better with time if you have any leftover. I, too, made the cake and whipped cream from scratch. I had thirteen for dinner so made one and a half times the ingredients. I might just call this my Christmas cake.
Cranberry Dreamsicle Trifle
Photo: Iain Bagwell; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 1 Hour, 15 Minutes
- 3 1/2 cups frozen or fresh cranberries
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 1/2 cups milk
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon orange zest
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large egg yolks
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 1 (16-oz.) frozen pound cake, thawed
- 1 1/2 cups whipping cream, whipped to soft peaks
- Garnishes: fresh rosemary sprigs, white chocolate curls
- 1. Bring first 3 ingredients to a simmer in a saucepan, and cook, stirring occasionally, 6 minutes or until sugar dissolves and orange juice is reduced by half.
- 2. Remove from heat, and cool 15 minutes. Cover and chill until ready to use, or refrigerate in an airtight container up to 4 days.
- 3. Whisk together milk and next 3 ingredients in a saucepan over medium-low heat, and cook, whisking occasionally, 2 to 3 minutes or until sugar dissolves. Remove from heat.
- 4. Whisk together egg yolks and next 2 ingredients in a medium bowl until smooth. Gradually whisk 1/2 cup milk mixture into egg yolk mixture, whisking constantly until smooth. Pour yolk mixture into warm milk mixture in pan, whisking until blended. Cook over medium-high heat, whisking constantly, 3 to 5 minutes or until mixture thickens and begins to bubble.
- 5. Transfer to a bowl, and place plastic wrap directly on mixture (to prevent film from forming). Chill 30 minutes to 3 days.
- 6. Cut pound cake into 1-inch cubes. Layer one-third cake cubes in a 2.5-qt. trifle dish. Top with one-third each orange pastry cream, cranberry mixture, and whipped cream. Repeat layers twice. Serve immediately, or cover and chill up to 24 hours.
- Note: We tested with Sara Lee All Butter Pound Cake.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts