Cranberry and Chocolate Trifle
Photo: Charles Schiller; Styling: Lynn Miller
More From Allyou
Chill: 5 Hours
Amount per serving
- Calories: 717
- Fat: 37g
- Saturated fat: 21g
- Protein: 10g
- Carbohydrate: 92g
- Fiber: 6g
- Cholesterol: 310mg
- Sodium: 147mg
- Cranberry Compote:
- 2 (12 oz.) bags fresh cranberries
- 1 2/3 cups sugar
- 1 cup orange juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- Chocolate Pudding:
- 2 cups whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- 3 cups heavy cream
- 3/4 cup orange juice or orange liqueur, or a combination
- 30 ladyfingers
- 1 ounce dark chocolate, grated
- 1 tablespoon grated orange zest
- 1. Make compote: Combine all ingredients in a heavy saucepan. Bring to boil, stirring until sugar dissolves. Reduce heat and simmer until cranberries pop, 5 minutes. Let cool. (Can be prepared one day ahead; cover and refrigerate.)
- 2. Make pudding: Bring 1 1/2 cups milk, sugar and cocoa to simmer over medium-low heat. Remove from heat. In a bowl, whisk remaining 1/2 cup milk with cornstarch, egg yolks, vanilla and salt.
- 3. Slowly add hot milk to egg mixture, whisking constantly. Return to pan. Whisk over medium-high heat until pudding boils. Lower heat and whisk until pudding becomes very thick, about 3 minutes.
- 4. Remove from heat, add chocolate chips and stir until melted. Pour into bowl, cover surface with plastic wrap and chill for 4 hours or overnight.
- 5. Set aside 3/4 cup of compote. Whip cream until stiff peaks form, reserving 1 1/2 cups. Fold remaining cream gently into chocolate pudding.
- 6. Cover bottom of trifle bowl with ladyfingers. Add 1/3 of orange juice or liqueur. Spread 1/3 of compote over ladyfingers; cover with 1/3 of pudding mixture. Repeat, layering twice more.
- 7. Spread reserved cream on top. Spoon reserved compote into center of bowl. Garnish with zest and grated chocolate. Chill 1 hour; serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts