Savor the sweet, tart hint of apple flavor in this velvety smooth, brilliant red soup. A drizzle of heavy cream and a few Cinnamon-Sugar Croutons make it dessert, good warm or chilled.
Yield: 4 1/2 cups
- 1 (12-ounce) package fresh or frozen cranberries, chopped (see Note below)
- 3 cups water
- 6 whole cloves
- 3 Golden Delicious apples, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 (3
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 6 tablespoons heavy whipping cream
- Cinnamon-Sugar Croutons
- Stir together cranberries, 3 cups water, and cloves in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 5 minutes.
- Strain cranberry mixture through a wire-mesh strainer lined with a coffee filter into a bowl; set aside. Meanwhile, combine apple and cinnamon sticks in saucepan; add water to cover. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer, uncovered, 20 to 25 minutes or until apple is very soft. Drain; discard cinnamon sticks.
- Process apple, 1/2 cup reserved cranberry liquid, and orange rind in a food processor until smooth. Return apple mixture to saucepan; stir in remaining reserved cranberry liquid and sugar. Cook over medium heat until sugar dissolves, stirring often.
- Stir together cornstarch and 2 tablespoons water until smooth. Stir cornstarch mixture into soup. Cook 2 minutes or until soup is slightly thickened. Serve warm or chilled.
- Ladle soup into bowls. Drizzle cream into soup; gently swirl cream with a knife. Top with Cinnamon-Sugar Croutons.
- Note: You can chop cranberries easily by pulsing them 3 or 4 times in a food processor.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews