Cranberry-Apple Pie with Pecan Shortbread Crust from Southern Living
Community Recipe from
- 1 cup(s) finely chopped pecans
- 1 1/2 cup(s) butter softened
- 3/4 cup(s) powdered sugar
- 3 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 3 pound(s) Gala apples
- 1 cup(s) firmly packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup(s) sweetened dried cranberries
- 1/4 cup(s) all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon(s) ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoon(s) butter melted
- 1. Prepare the crust: preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Bake pecans in a single layer in a shallow pan 4 to 5 minutes or until lightly toasted and fragrant, stirring halfway through. Cool completely, about 20 minutes.
- 2.Meanwhile, beat 1 1/2 cups softened butter at medium speed with an electric mixer 1 minute or until creamy; add powdered sugar, beating well. Gradually add 3 cups flour, beating at low speed until mixture is no longer crumbly and starts to come together into a ball. Stir in pecans. Shape 1/3 of the dough into an 8" log; wrap in plastic wrap & chill until ready to use. Press remaining dough on the bottom and up the sides of a 9" springform pan. Cover and chill crust.
- 3. Prepare Filling: Peel apples. Cut into 1/4" thick wedges. Toss together apples with the next 4 ingredients. Spoon mixture into prepared crust. Drizzle with melted butter.
- 4. Cut reserved dough log into 8 (1") pieces. Gently shape each pice into a 6 to 8 inch rope to flatten into strips. Arrange strips in a lattice design over the filling.
- 5. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour to 1 hour and 10 minutes, or until juices are thick and bubbly, crust is golden brown, and apples are tender when pierced with a long wooden pick, shielding with foil during the last 30 minutes to prevent excessive browning. Cool completely in pan on a wire rack. Remove sides from pan. Garnish with toasted pecan halves or powdered sugar, if desired.
This recipe is a personal recipe added by marybillingsley and has not been tested or endorsed by MyRecipes.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cranberry-Apple Pie with Pecan Shortbread Crust from Southern Living Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Desserts