Cranberry Apple Pie
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange zest
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 pounds Granny Smith or other tart apples, peeled, cored, and thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cups frozen cranberries
- 1 cup sugar (more or less, depending on apple sweetness)
- 5 to 6 tablespoons coarsely chopped pecans
- 3 to 4 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- Nana Hirl's Pie Crust
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425°.
- 2. Melt the butter in a 10-inch cast iron skillet over medium heat. Add the orange zest, cinnamon, and nutmeg; mix well with a wooden spoon. Add the apples and cranberries, stirring to combine.
- 3. Combine sugar, pecans, and flour; add to apple mixture, stirring to combine. Spoon apple mixture into Nana Hirl's pie crust (in a 10-inch cast iron skillet), packing tightly and mounding in center. Roll out remaining disk to 1/8-inch thickness and gently place over filling; fold edges under and crimp, sealing to bottom crust. Place pie on a jelly-roll pan. Cut 4 or 5 slits in top of pie for steam to escape.
- 4. Bake at 425° for 15 minutes; reduce oven temperature to 350° and bake until crust is golden, 45 to 55 minutes.Transfer to a wire rack and cool 11/2 to 2 hours before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts