Followed the recipe to a tee. Smelled wonderful, but it had more of a bread pudding texture - not french toast! The flavor was just okay.
Cranberry-Apple French Toast Casserole
This prep-ahead casserole, which turns extra dinner rolls and cranberry sauce into a brunch or dessert treat, is especially welcome if you are entertaining houseguests for the long holiday weekend. While we enjoyed the tartness of the Granny Smith apples, any baking apple will do. Serve with apple wedges.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 270
- Calories from fat: 28%
- Fat: 8.5g
- Saturated fat: 2.9g
- Monounsaturated fat: 3.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.2g
- Protein: 7.7g
- Carbohydrate: 41.9g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 112mg
- Iron: 2mg
- Sodium: 265mg
- Calcium: 103mg
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 cups diced Granny Smith apple (about 2 apples)
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground cloves
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar, divided
- 1 pound dinner rolls, quartered
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup sweetened dried cranberries
- 1 1/4 cups apple juice
- 1 1/4 cups 1% low-fat milk
- 3/4 cup whole-berry cranberry sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup sliced almonds, toasted
- Preheat oven to 250°.
- Melt butter in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add apple, cinnamon, and cloves to pan; cook 10 minutes or until lightly browned, stirring frequently. Stir in 2 tablespoons brown sugar; cook 2 minutes or until sugar melts. Remove from heat.
- Place quartered rolls on a jelly-roll pan; bake at 250° for 15 minutes. Arrange rolls in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle cranberries evenly over rolls; top with apple mixture. Combine apple juice and the next 5 ingredients (through eggs) in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Pour egg mixture over roll mixture; sprinkle with remaining 2 tablespoons sugar. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Uncover dish, and sprinkle with almonds. Bake at 350° for 55 minutes or until golden.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note