Quick easy recipe. The stove top part made a caramel mix which was gooey. Only gave it 4 stars as I have not made the maple cream as yet. Used left over apples. The low fat topping is great. Served with vanilla icecream but kid and hubby ate without icecream and loved it. Used Applejack brandy for the craisins and worked out great.
Cranberry-Apple Crisp with Cinnamon-Maple Cream
"The crumbly topping is an easy alternative to making a pastry crust. Cooking the fruit on the stovetop ensures that it is tender when the topping is browned. I prefer using dark brown sugar with the assertive spices and brandy in the filling, but the light variety will work, as well." -Jan Moon
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 265
- Calories from fat: 23%
- Fat: 6.7g
- Saturated fat: 3.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1g
- Protein: 2.7g
- Carbohydrate: 47.9g
- Fiber: 3g
- Cholesterol: 10mg
- Iron: 1.1mg
- Sodium: 130mg
- Calcium: 25mg
- Maple cream:
- 2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 3/4 cup dried cranberries
- 3 tablespoons brandy
- Cooking spray
- 6 cups chopped peeled Granny Smith apple (about 2 1/2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon finely grated orange rind
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour (about 3 ounces)
- 1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup chilled butter, cut into small pieces
- 2/3 cup regular oats
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, toasted and finely chopped
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare maple cream, combine whipped topping, syrup, and 1/8 teaspoon cinnamon. Cover and chill.
- To prepare filling, combine dried cranberries and brandy in a small bowl. Microwave on high for 30 seconds, and set aside.
- Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Coat pan with cooking spray. Add apple and juice; sauté 3 minutes. Stir in cranberry mixture, granulated sugar, and next 6 ingredients (through nutmeg). Spoon apple mixture into an 11 x 7-inch baking dish or shallow 2-quart baking dish coated with cooking spray.
- To prepare topping, lightly spoon 2/3 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, 1/3 cup brown sugar, and 1/4 teaspoon salt in a bowl; cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture is crumbly. Add oats and walnuts; toss well. Sprinkle over apple mixture.
- Bake at 375° for 30 minutes or until bubbly and topping is browned. Serve with maple cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note