Crackle Crêpes with Shrimp
Notes: Rice flour (finely ground rice) gives the crêpes their interesting texture, which varies according to how finely the grain is ground. Most rice flours from Asia are as silky as baby powder; they produce a very thin, crisp crêpe. Slightly coarser, grittier flours make thicker pancakes. Don't use sweet or glutinous rice flour. Look for rice flour in natural-food stores and in Asian or Latino food markets. If using Asian rice flour, use 2 tablespoons less water in step 1. To serve crêpes Vietnamese style, arrange a few leaves of red leaf lettuce and some mint sprigs alongside; cut off chunks of the crêpe, place in a piece of lettuce, add a few mint leaves and a spoonful of seasoned fish sauce, and wrap in the lettuce to eat. Serve with hot cooked rice and a light soup for supper.
More From Sunset
- Calories: 296
- Calories from fat: 29%
- Protein: 16g
- Fat: 9.7g
- Saturated fat: 4.4g
- Carbohydrate: 36g
- Fiber: 1.7g
- Sodium: 136mg
- Cholesterol: 111mg
- 1/2 cup rice flour (see notes)
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon ground dried turmeric
- 1/4 cup canned coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons thinly sliced green onion, including tops
- 1 tablespoon salad oil
- 1/2 pound bean sprouts (1 quart), rinsed and crisped
- 6 ounces shelled cooked tiny shrimp, rinsed and drained
- Seasoned fish sauce
- 1. In a bowl, mix rice flour, cornstarch, and turmeric. Add 1 cup water (see notes) and the coconut milk, and whisk to blend. Stir in green onion.
- 2. Set a 12-inch nonstick frying pan (about 10 inches across bottom) over high heat. When pan is hot, add 1 teaspoon oil and tilt to coat bottom.
- 3. Stir rice flour batter to blend. Pour 1/2 cup batter into pan all at once and tilt pan to cover entire bottom evenly.
- 4. Distribute 1/3 of the bean sprouts and 1/3 of the shrimp evenly over half the crepe. Cook, uncovered, until crepe is browned and crisp on the bottom, 7 to 10 minutes. Fold plain side over filled side, then slide crepe onto an ovenproof plate. Keep warm in a 200° regular or convection oven up to 25 minutes. Repeat to cook 2 more crepes. Add seasoned fish sauce to taste
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note