Cracker-Breaded Fried Shrimp
We found that coarsely crushed crackers work best for this recipe. Place crackers in a zip-top plastic bag, and crush with a rolling pin.
Yield: Makes 6 servings
- 2 pounds unpeeled, large fresh shrimp
- 1 1/2 cups crushed buttery round crackers (about 26 crackers)
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 2 to 3 drops hot sauce
- 1 large egg
- Vegetable oil
- Peel shrimp, leaving tails intact, and devein, if desired.
- Combine crushed crackers, flour, 1/2 teaspoon pepper, and salt in a shallow dish. Stir together buttermilk, hot sauce, egg, and remaining 1/4 teaspoon pepper in a bowl until blended. Dip shrimp in buttermilk mixture; dredge in cracker mixture.
- Pour oil to a depth of 2 1/2 inches into a large, deep cast-iron or heavy-duty skillet; heat to 375°. Fry shrimp, in batches, 1 to 2 minutes or until golden; drain on wire racks over paper towels.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note