- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/3 cup cracked wheat OR bulghur
- 1/4 cup oats, old-fashioned OR quick
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 2 to 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2 envelops Fleischmann's® RapidRise Yeast
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary leaves, crushed (optional)
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- Additional oats for topping
How to Make It
IN LARGE BOWL, combine boiling water, cracked wheat, oats, honey, butter, and salt; cool to 120˚ to 130˚F, about 15 minutes. Add 1 cup all-purpose flour, whole wheat flour, undissolved yeast, and rosemary, if desired. Beat 2 minutes at medium speed of electric mixer, scraping bowl occasionally. Stir in enough remaining flour to make a soft dough. Knead on lightly floured surface until smooth and elastic, about 8 to 10 minutes. Cover; let rest 10 minutes.
DIVIDE dough into 3 equal pieces; form each into smooth ball. Arrange balls in greased 9 x 5-inch loaf pan. Cover; let rise in warm, draft-free place until doubled in size, about 1 hour.
BRUSH top of dough with egg white; sprinkle with oats. Bake at 375˚F for 35 to 40 minutes or until done. Cover with foil during last 10 to 15 minutes if loaf is getting too dark. Remove from pan; cool on wire rack.