This bread was easy-working, very flavorful. All my guests loved it; one ate five slices! We had bacon-tomato sandwiches on it toasted and it was delicious.
Cracked Pepper-Seed Bread
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 199
- Calories from fat: 19%
- Fat: 4.1g
- Saturated fat: 0.5g
- Monounsaturated fat: 1.5g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 1.9g
- Protein: 7.3g
- Carbohydrate: 35.9g
- Fiber: 2.4g
- Cholesterol: 13mg
- Iron: 2.7mg
- Sodium: 232mg
- Calcium: 35mg
- 1 package dry yeast (about 2 1/4 teaspoons)
- 2 cups warm water (100° to 110°)
- 1/4 cup honey
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 5 1/4 cups bread flour (about 25 ounces), divided
- 1/2 cup wheat bran
- 5 tablespoons sunflower seed kernels, divided
- 5 tablespoons sesame seeds, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cracked black peppercorns, divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons cracked green peppercorns, divided
- Cooking spray
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Dissolve yeast in 2 cups warm water in a large bowl; let stand 5 minutes. Add honey, oil, and 1/2 teaspoon salt, stirring with a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Add 3 cups flour and bran to yeast mixture, stirring until combined. Cover and let stand in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 1 hour or until small bubbles appear on surface.
- Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt, 2 cups flour, 1/4 cup sunflower seeds, 1/4 cup sesame seeds, 1 1/2 teaspoons black pepper, and 1 1/2 teaspoons green pepper; stir until dough forms. Turn dough out onto a floured surface. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 minutes); add enough of remaining flour, 1 tablespoon at a time, to prevent dough from sticking to hands (dough will feel tacky). Place dough in a large bowl coated with cooking spray, turning to coat top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size. (Gently press two fingers into dough. If indentation remains, dough has risen enough.) Punch dough down; cover and let rest 5 minutes.
- Divide dough in half; place each half in an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85°), free from drafts, 45 minutes or until doubled in size.
- Preheat oven to 400°.
- Brush loaf tops with egg; sprinkle tops evenly with remaining 1 tablespoon sunflower seeds, remaining 1 tablespoon sesame seeds, remaining 3/4 teaspoon black pepper, and remaining 3/4 teaspoon green pepper. Bake at 400° for 35 minutes or until loaves are browned on bottom and sound hollow when tapped. Remove loaves from pans, and cool on wire racks. Cut each loaf into 8 slices.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Cracked Pepper-Seed Bread Recipe at a Glance
More Recipes Like This