- 1 cup cracked emmer wheat, (see Note)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 2 large braised carrots, chopped, or use other steamed or roasted carrots
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 2 tablespoons salted roasted pumpkin seeds
- 2 tablespoons freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed cumin seeds
How to Make It
In a medium saucepan, cook the cracked emmer over moderate heat, stirring, until it is toasted, about 1 minute. Whisk in the milk and 2 cups of water and cook over low heat, whisking often, until the porridge is thick and the wheat is al dente, about 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, quarter the braised carrots and puree them in a food processor.
Stir the carrot puree into the porridge along with the sherry vinegar and honey and season with salt. Spoon the porridge into shallow bowls. Top with the roasted pumpkin seeds, grated Parmesan cheese and crushed cumin seeds and serve.
The sweet, nutty-tasting emmer wheat in this recipe is slightly cracked, so it cooks more quickly. It’s available at bluebirdgrainfarms.com. If using whole emmer, crack the grains in a blender for 15 to 20 seconds.