- 2 tablespoons plus 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, divided
- 3 cups chopped leeks
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 1 cup chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups peeled, diced russet potatoes
- 2 (8-ounce) bottles clam juice
- 2 teaspoons lemon zest
- 1 1/2 teaspoons seafood seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 pound lump crabmeat, drained and picked
- 1 (14.1-ounce) package refrigerated pie crusts
- 1 large egg, beaten
How to Make It
Melt 2 tablespoons butter in a large Dutch oven over medium heat. Add next 3 ingredients; cook 5 minutes. Stir in flour; cook 1 minute. Add potatoes and next 5 ingredients; bring to a boil. Cover, reduce heat to low, and simmer 15 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Remove from heat.
Melt remaining 1⁄2 cup butter in a small skillet over medium-low heat. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, stirring constantly, until butter is golden brown and fragrant. Stir browned butter, peas, and crabmeat into vegetable mixture.
Unroll pie crusts on work surface; invert 6 (10-ounce) ramekins or custard cups onto pie crusts. Cut around edges of ramekins with the tip of a sharp knife to make circles. Spoon crab mixture evenly into ramekins. Whisk together egg and 1 tablespoon water. Brush pie crust circle edges with egg wash; place 1 circle, egg wash side down, over crab mixture in each ramekin, pressing down to seal to 4 slits in each crust to vent. Place on a foil- or parchment-lined baking sheet.
Bake at 375° for 25 to 30 minutes or until golden brown.