Crab Cakes with Aïoli
Photo: Sully Sullivan; Styling: Tara Guérard
More From Coastal Living
Cool: 5 Minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onions
- 1/4 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons creole mustard
- 1/4 cup fresh lemon juice, divided
- 1 pound lump crab, picked
- 2 egg yolks
- 1 cup vegetable oil, divided
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 teaspoon seafood seasoning
- 1 cup fine breadcrumbs, divided
- 9 mini biscuits, split
- 18 slices yellow or red Roma tomatoes
- 1 cup arugula leaves
- 1. Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add onion and celery. Stir in 1/4 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Sauté 5 minutes. Stir in garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Remove from heat; cool 5 minutes.
- 2. Combine onions, cheese, mustard, and 2 tablespoons lemon juice in a large bowl. Fold in crab. Fold reserved onion mixture into crab mixture. Set aside.
- 3. Combine egg yolks, 2 tablespoons lemon juice, remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt, and white pepper in a food processor; process until smooth. With processor running, pour oil through food chute in a slow, steady stream, and process until thick. Pulse in Worcestershire and hot sauce.
- 4. Stir in 1/2 cup aïoli mixture and 1/2 cup breadcrumbs. Form into 18 patties, about 1/4 cup each.
- 5. Combine remaining 1/2 cup breadcrumbs and seafood seasoning in a shallow dish. Dredge crab cakes in seasoned breadcrumbs.
- 6. Heat half of remaining oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Fry half of crab cakes in hot oil 2 to 3 minutes on each side until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Repeat with remaining oil and cakes.
- 7. Place tomato slice on half of biscuit. Top with crab cake; dollop with aïoli and top with arugula leaves. Skewer with long wooden or bamboo pick to secure. Repeat.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note