- 1/2 cup peeled and finely chopped cucumber
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 quart hot Fish Stock
- 1 quart hot half-and-half
- 1 pound lump or flake crab meat, finely chopped
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 tablespoon Rhine wine
- Additional cucumber slices (optional)
- Hot French bread (optional)
How to Make It
Sauté cucumber and onion in butter in a large Dutch oven until tender. Add flour, stirring until smooth. Cook 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Gradually add fish stock; cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until thickened and bubbly. Stir in half-and-half, crab meat, salt, and pepper. Remove from heat; cover and chill thoroughly.
Stir in wine just before serving. Serve chilled in individual soup bowls. Garnish with cucumber slices, and serve with French bread, if desired.