This sandwich is amazing. It really highlights the basic ingredients and lets them shine. I did mix the mayo with crab, it helped it stick. Made it over and over again.
Crab and Avocado Grilled Cheese on Sourdough
Time: 20 minutes. This sandwich is also great served open faced, using toasted bread. Lynn Blair invented it one day when she was trying to figure out what to do with leftover crab.
Yield: Makes 2 sandwiches
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 757
- Calories from fat: 56%
- Protein: 46g
- Fat: 47g
- Saturated fat: 19g
- Carbohydrate: 38g
- Fiber: 3g
- Sodium: 973mg
- Cholesterol: 195mg
- 4 slices sourdough French bread
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Ground white pepper
- 2 tablespoons softened butter, divided
- 1/2 pound shelled cooked crab or canned lump crab
- 1/2 large avocado, sliced thin
- 2 very thin slices red onion, rinsed, dried, and separated into rings
- 4 ounces Swiss, gruyÃ¨re, fontina, or jack cheese, sliced thin
- 1. Spread bread slices with mayonnaise and sprinkle with white pepper. Layer 2 slices with crab, avocado, onion, and cheese. Set remaining bread slices on top and spread each with 1 tsp. butter.
- 2. Melt remaining 2 tsp. butter in a large nonstick frying pan over medium heat. Put sandwiches in pan, unbuttered side down, and cook, turning once, until golden brown and cheese is melted, about 6 minutes total.
- Note: Nutritional analysis is per sandwich.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Sandwiches