Yield: 7 cups
- 2 (10-ounce) packages frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- 1 (14 1/2-ounce) can chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh crabmeat
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3 cups whipping cream*
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Process spinach and broth in a blender or food processor until smooth, stopping once to scrape down sides; set aside. Drain and flake crabmeat, removing any bits of shell; set aside.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion, celery, and bell pepper, and saute until tender. Add flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 1 minute or until smooth.
- Gradually stir in cream, and cook, stirring constantly, 10 minutes. Stir in spinach mixture, Worcestershire sauce, and next 5 ingredients; simmer, stirring often, 5 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Stir in crabmeat, and cook, stirring often, just until thoroughly heated (do not boil). Remove and discard bay leaf. Serve with French bread.
- *Evaporated skimmed milk may be substituted for whipping cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Soups/Stews