- 2 pounds unpeeled, medium-size raw shrimp*
- 1/4 cup butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup chopped onion
- 1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped celery
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 (14-oz.) can chicken broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1/4 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium Creole seasoning
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
- 1 (16-oz.) container fresh crabmeat, drained and flaked
- 5 cups hot cooked long-grain rice
- Garnish: chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
How to Make It
Peel shrimp; devein, if desired.
Melt butter with oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat; stir in flour, and cook, stirring constantly, 5 minutes or until caramel colored. Add chopped onion, green pepper, and celery; cook, stirring constantly, 4 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Add minced garlic, and sauté 1 minute.
Stir in chicken broth, white wine, and next 6 ingredients, and cook, stirring occasionally, 10 minutes. Add shrimp. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 5 minutes.
Stir in crabmeat; cook, stirring often, until thoroughly heated.
Spoon shrimp mixture into individual serving bowls. Spoon hot cooked rice on top of shrimp mixture. Garnish, if desired.
*2 (16-oz.) packages frozen unpeeled, raw shrimp, thawed according to package directions, may be substituted.
Note: For testing purposes only, we used Tony Chachere's Lite Creole Seasoning.