Crab-and-Avocado Salad with Ginger Vinaigrette
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh ginger
- Grated zest of 1/2 lemon
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white- or rice-wine vinegar
- 2 scallions including green tops, chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup cooking oil
- 3/4 pound watercress, tough stems removed (about 2 quarts)
- 1/2 head romaine lettuce (about 3/4 pound), cut crosswise into 1-inch strips (about 2 quarts)
- 2 ripe avocados, preferably Haas, diced
- 1/2 pound lump crabmeat, picked free of shell
- 1. In a blender, combine the ginger, lemon zest, lemon juice, vinegar, scallions, soy sauce, and 1/4 teaspoon of the salt. Pulse to chop. Add the oil and puree until smooth.
- 2. In a large glass or stainless-steel bowl, combine the watercress, romaine, avocados, and the remaining 1/4 teaspoon salt. Toss the salad with all but 3 tablespoons of the vinaigrette and mound the salad on plates.
- 3. Toss the crabmeat with the remaining vinaigrette. Spoon the dressed crabmeat over the salads.
- Wine Recommendation: Avocados are so rich it can be hard to find a wine to match. Opt for contrast instead by using a crisp Italian white wine such as Soave or Orvieto. Its fresh but neutral flavors will stand back and let the salad shine.
- Notes: Wait until you're ready to toss the salad before dicing the avocados. The acidity in the vinaigrette will keep them from turning brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes Like This