Nice homey meal. No mushrooms in the house, so I used carrots, celery, red bell peppers, garlic,and peas. I steamed the carrots in the microwave, then added them to the sauteed celery and peppers. Just thawed the peas under cool water. Did not add vinegar and used only buttermilk in the potatoes. I made this from the pot roast recipe, and as I'd already thickened the gravy the night before to have with the potroast, I did not use a thickener for the shepherd's pie, although I did add a TB of organic ketchup for a bit of tomato & sweetness, which made the gravy just luscious. Served with steamed cabbage wedges.
Cozy Shepherd's Pie
Make this Shepherd's Pie ahead of time, and freeze after assembling. Thaw in refrigerator overnight and bake as directed.
Yield: 8 servings (serving size: about 1 cup)
More From Cooking Light
Amount per serving
- Calories: 228
- Calories from fat: 26%
- Fat: 6.6g
- Saturated fat: 2.4g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.6g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.6g
- Protein: 18.5g
- Carbohydrate: 24.5g
- Fiber: 3.1g
- Cholesterol: 45mg
- Iron: 3.1mg
- Sodium: 330mg
- Calcium: 50mg
- Potato topping:
- 2 pounds peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces (about 4 cups)
- 1/2 cup low-fat sour cream
- 1/4 cup 1% low-fat milk
- 2 teaspoons chopped fresh or 1/2 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 2 cups diced carrot
- 6 cups quartered mushrooms (about 1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh or 1 teaspoon dried rubbed sage
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/4 cups Americana Pot Roast broth or low-salt beef broth
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 3 cups diced Americana Pot Roast or cooked roast beef (about 12 ounces)
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- To prepare potato topping, place potatoes in a saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil; cook 20 minutes or until very tender. Drain. Place potatoes, sour cream, and next 5 ingredients (sour cream through pepper) in a large bowl, and beat at medium speed of a mixer until smooth. Keep warm.
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- To prepare filling, heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add carrot; sauté 7 minutes. Add mushrooms; sauté 5 minutes. Add 1 tablespoon sage and garlic; sauté 2 minutes. Sprinkle with flour; cook 2 minutes, stirring until well-blended. Add broth and wine; bring to a boil. Stir in tomato paste and vinegar. Add pot roast; cook 2 minutes. Spoon meat mixture into a 2-quart casserole.
- Spread potato topping over meat mixture; sprinkle with paprika. Bake at 375° for 45 minutes or until golden brown.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes