Cowboy Pot Roast
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 1/2 teaspoons pepper, divided
- 1 (14.5-ounce) can petite-cut diced tomatoes, drained
- 1 (10-ounce) can diced tomatoes and green chiles, undrained
- 1 onion, cut into 8 wedges
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 (2 1/2-3 pound) eye of round roast, trimmed
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 (16-ounce) cans pinto beans, drained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, drained
- Pickled jalapeño pepper slices (optional)
How to Make It
Combine 1 teaspoon salt, 1 teaspoon pepper, and next 4 ingredients in a medium bowl.
Sprinkle roast evenly with remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon pepper. Brown roast on all sides in hot oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Transfer roast to a 5 1/2-quart slow cooker. Pour tomato mixture over roast. Cover and cook on HIGH 5 to 6 hours or until meat shreds easily with a fork.
Remove roast from slow cooker, and cut into large chunks; keep warm.
Skim fat from juices in slow cooker. Mash 1 1/2 cans (about 2 3/4 cups) pinto beans; add to slow cooker, and stir until combined. Stir in black beans and remaining 1/2 can pinto beans. Add roast pieces back to slow cooker; cover and cook on HIGH an additional 20 to 25 minutes. Top each serving with jalapeño pepper slices, if desired.