Couscous with Harvest Vegetables
Homemade Harissa Paste also pairs well with this dish. Serve it on the side. Prep: 20 minutes; Cook: 40 minutes.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 4 links (about 1 pound) lamb sausage, such as merguez, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 large yellow onion, sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 tablespoon fresh grated ginger
- 1 small pumpkin (about 12 ounces), peeled, seeded, and diced into 1- to 2-inch cubes*
- 4 carrots, halved lengthwise and cut into thirds
- 2 turnips, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 cup golden raisins
- 5 cups chicken stock or chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 zucchini (about 1/2 pound), halved lengthwise and cut into fourths
- 1 (15.5-ounce) can chickpeas
- 1 (10-ounce) package couscous
- Garnish: fresh cilantro or mint leaves
- 1. Heat oil in a large heavy pot over medium heat. Add sausage, and cook about 5 minutes. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes. Add 3/4 teaspoon salt and next 7 ingredients; stir well. Add stock, and bring to a boil; reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes or until pumpkin is tender when pierced with a fork. Stir in zucchini and chickpeas; simmer about 10 minutes more or until zucchini is tender but not falling apart.
- 2. Cook couscous according to package directions with remaining 3/4 teaspoon salt. Fluff with a fork; keep warm until ready to serve.
- 3. Pile warm couscous on a large platter. Remove sausage and vegetables from pot with slotted spoon, and place around couscous. Garnish, if desired. Pour broth into a serving bowl. Invite guests to serve themselves individual portions of couscous, vegetables, and broth.
- *Substitute 1 butternut squash or large sweet potato, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Side Dishes/Vegetables