these are truly southern collard greens. I add a pinch of crushed red pepper to mine for a little zip. This is a keeper recipe. thank you.
- 2 large bunches fresh collard greens (about 5 pounds each)
- 1/2 pound fatback, sliced
- 1/2 pound hog jowl
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- Remove and discard stems and discolored spots from greens. Wash greens thoroughly; drain and cut into 1/2-inch strips. Set aside.
- Cook fatback and hog jowl in hot oil in a 6-quart Dutch oven over medium heat, stirring often, 8 to 10 minutes or until fatback is crisp. Remove fatback and jowl, and set aside. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup drippings.
- Bring 4 cups water, next 3 ingredients, and 1/4 cup reserved drippings to a boil in Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add one-third of greens, stirring often, 2 to 3 minutes or until wilted. Repeat procedure twice with remaining greens. Reduce heat to low; cover and cook, stirring occasionally, 45 minutes or until collards are tender. Add additional sugar and salt to taste, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note