I used skim milk, and because I ALWAYS burn milk when I cook it on the stovetop I cooked this over low. It took about 30 minutes for the cheese to melt, but the sauce got pretty thick. Letting it stand after cooking was also key to a thicker sauce. It was pretty bland though, green onions would have helped. I'm wondering if I can't re-work this into some kind of baked potato soup....
Country Potatoes au Gratin
Have you ever tried to stuff onion or potato slices into a measuring cup? Ingredients like these are best measured by weight. Country Potatoes au Gratin works well as an entrée with a side salad completing the meal. If you prefer to have it as a side dish, it will make 12 servings.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 376
- Calories from fat: 22%
- Fat: 12g
- Saturated fat: 7.6g
- Monounsaturated fat: 2.8g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.5g
- Protein: 16.7g
- Carbohydrate: 50.3g
- Fiber: 3.8g
- Cholesterol: 46mg
- Iron: 1.3mg
- Sodium: 727mg
- Calcium: 321mg
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 medium onion (about 5 1/2 ounces), thinly sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 3 ounces all-purpose flour (about 2/3 cup)
- 6 ounces shredded sharp cheddar cheese (1 1/2 cups), divided
- 6 ounces diced ham (about 1 1/4 cups)
- 3 pounds peeled baking potatoes, cut into 1/8-inch-thick slices
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- Melt butter in a Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic; sauté 5 minutes or until onion is tender. Combine milk, salt, pepper, and flour, stirring with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan. Bring to a simmer; cook until slightly thick (about 2 minutes), stirring frequently. Add 4 ounces cheese and ham, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in potatoes.
- Place the potato mixture in a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray. Sprinkle potato mixture with remaining 2 ounces of cheese. Cover with foil coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Uncover and bake an additional 30 minutes or until lightly browned and potatoes are tender. Let stand 15 minutes before serving.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note