Excellent although too rich for my preferences. I would make again...actually have made twice. Used milk instead of cream the second time and we liked it better. I might skip chilling and cutting the grits and place in individual ramekins immediately after cooking.
Country Ham and Gouda Grit Cakes with Tomato Gravy
Photo: Melina Hammer; Styling: Caroline M. Cunningham
More From Southern Living
Total: 5 Hours, 35 Minutes
- HAM AND GRITS
- 1/2 cup diced country ham
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup quick-cooking grits
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 1/2 cups (6 oz.) freshly shredded Gouda cheese, divided
- TOMATO GRAVY
- 1 cup finely chopped sweet onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 (28-oz.) can Italian-style peeled tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh basil
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground red pepper
- POACHED EGGS
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 6 large eggs
- 1. Prepare Ham and Grits: Sauté diced ham in a small skillet over medium heat 3 to 5 minutes or until lightly browned. Drain on paper towels.
- 2. Bring cream, next 2 ingredients, and 3 cups water to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Gradually whisk in grits; return to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cook, whisking often, 5 minutes or until thickened. Stir in garlic, ham, and 1 cup Gouda cheese; cook, stirring occasionally, 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese melts. Spread in a lightly greased 13- x 9-inch pan; cover and chill 4 hours or until set.
- 3. Prepare Tomato Gravy: Sauté onion and garlic in hot oil in a 3-qt. saucepan over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes or until tender. Stir in tomatoes and 1 cup water. Bring to a boil, stirring constantly and crushing tomatoes with spoon. Reduce heat to low, and simmer, stirring occasionally, 15 to 20 minutes or until slightly thickened. Stir in basil and next 3 ingredients.
- 4. Prepare Poached Eggs: Add water to depth of 3 inches in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce heat, and maintain at a light simmer. Add vinegar. Break eggs, and slip into water, 1 at a time, as close as possible to surface. Simmer 3 to 5 minutes or to desired degree of doneness. Remove with a slotted spoon. Trim edges, if desired.
- 5. Assemble: Preheat oven to 375°. Invert chilled grits onto a cutting board. Cut into 12 (3-inch) squares; place in a single layer, overlapping slightly, in a 13- x 9-inch baking dish. Spoon gravy over grits. Bake 20 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Top with remaining 1/2 cup Gouda and poached eggs.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note