Country Ham Gratin
Every time she makes this hearty dish, Irina Ummel is reminded of her grandmother, who made it for her family with food grown on her farm in Russia.
Yield: Makes 4 to 6 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 303
- Calories from fat: 39%
- Protein: 22g
- Fat: 13g
- Saturated fat: 6.4g
- Carbohydrate: 25g
- Fiber: 2.6g
- Sodium: 864mg
- Cholesterol: 185mg
- 1 pound green beans, rinsed, ends trimmed, and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 8 ounces cooked or smoked ham, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 1/2 pounds white thin-skinned potatoes, peeled and sliced into 1/8-inch-thick rounds
- 4 large eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk (whole or 2%)
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup grated Swiss cheese (about 2 1/2 oz.)
- 1. In a 4- to 5-quart pan over high heat, bring about 2 quarts water to a boil. Add green beans and cook until crisp-tender to bite, about 3 minutes. Drain.
- 2. In a lightly oiled 3-quart baking dish, arrange about a third of the ham, followed by a third of the beans and a third of the potatoes. Repeat to make two more layers.
- 3. In a bowl, beat eggs, milk, lemon juice, salt, and pepper just to blend. Pour over potatoes. Cover dish with foil.
- 4. Bake gratin in a 350° oven until potatoes are tender when pierced, about 45 minutes. Uncover, sprinkle cheese evenly over top, and continue to bake until cheese is browned and bubbling, about 25 minutes longer.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Main Dishes