Country Ham Cooked In A Blanket
- 1 (14- to 15-pound) country ham
- 8 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 cups firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon dry mustard
- 1 tablespoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon ground cloves
- 1 tablespoon pepper
- 1 cup water
- 1 cup vinegar
- 1 cup Burgundy or other red wine
- Place ham in a very large container; cover with cold water, and soak overnight. Remove ham from water, and drain . Scrub ham thoroughly with a stiff brush, and rinse well with cold water. Remove top layer of fat from ham.
- Combine flour, brown sugar, mustard, nutmeg, cinnamon, cloves, and pepper in a large mixing bowl; stir well. Add water and vinegar; stir until dry ingredients are moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface; knead 10 to 12 times. Roll dough to 1/2-inch thickness. Place ham, fat side up, in a lightly greased shallow roasting pan. Place pastry over entire exposed surface of ham.
- Bake at 325° for 4 hours. Remove from oven. Remove and discard pastry. Score fat in a diamond pattern. Sprinkle surface of ham with topping. Pour wine into bottom of pan. Bake at 325° for 30 minutes or until browned. Transfer to a serving platter ; cool completely. Cut into thin slices to serve.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note