Have shared this with friends and family. Everyone loves.
Country Grits and Sausage Casserole
To punch up flavor, use one pound of mild sausage and one pound of hot sausage in this grits and sausage casserole. If you're really brave, use hot sausage exclusively!
Yield: 10 servings
- 2 pounds mild ground pork sausage
- 4 cups water
- 1 1/4 cups quick-cooking grits, uncooked
- 4 cups (1 pound) shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 large eggs, lightly beaten
- Garnish: fresh parsley sprigs
- Brown sausage in a large skillet, stirring until it crumbles. Drain well, and set aside.
- Bring water to a boil in a large saucepan, and stir in grits. Return to a boil; cover, reduce heat, and simmer 5 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; add cheese and next 3 ingredients, stirring until cheese melts. Stir in sausage and eggs.
- Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 13" x 9" x 2" baking dish; sprinkle with paprika. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 1 hour or until golden and heated. Let stand 5 minutes before serving. Garnish, if desired.
- Make-Ahead: Prepare grits mixture as directed above, but do not bake. Cover and chill overnight. Remove from refrigerator; let stand, covered 30 minutes. Uncover and bake as directed.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breakfast/Brunch