Country Crust Cheese Bread
More From Southern Living
3 Hours, 50 Minutes
- 2 (1/4-oz.) envelopes active dry yeast
- 2 cups warm water (105Â° to 115Â°)
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 6 to 6 1/2 cups bread flour
- 1 cup (4 oz.) freshly shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1. Combine yeast, warm water, and 2 tsp. sugar in bowl of a heavy-duty electric stand mixer; let stand 5 minutes. Stir in eggs, next 3 ingredients, 3 cups flour, and remaining sugar. Beat dough at medium speed, using paddle attachment, until smooth. Gradually beat in remaining 3 to 3 1/2 cups flour until a soft dough forms.
- 2. Turn dough out onto a well-floured surface, and knead until smooth and elastic (about 8 to 10 minutes), sprinkling surface with flour as needed. Place dough in a lightly greased large bowl, turning to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, about 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 3. Punch dough down; turn out onto a lightly floured surface. Divide dough in half.
- 4. Roll each dough half into an 18- x 9-inch rectangle; sprinkle cheese evenly onto each dough rectangle. Starting at 1 short end, tightly roll up each rectangle, jelly-roll fashion, pressing to seal edges as you roll. Pinch ends of dough to seal, and tuck ends under dough. Place each dough roll, seam side down, in a lightly greased 9- x 5-inch loaf pan. Brush tops with oil. Cover and let rise in a warm place (85º), free from drafts, 1 hour or until doubled in bulk.
- 5. Preheat oven to 375º. Bake 25 to 30 minutes or until loaves are deep golden brown and sound hollow when tapped. Remove from pans to a wire rack, and brush loaves with melted butter. Let cool completely (about 1 hour).
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Breads