Just wonderful although I used regular sour cream and cream cheese I think it would be great either way. I was hesitant about the spices but they were wonderful and took the dish to the next level.
Country Chicken Pâté
We kept the creamy texture of this lightened classic by using low-fat sour cream and fat-free cream cheese instead of butter and heavy cream. Serve this rich appetizer with a French bread baguette, coarse-grained mustard, and gherkins.
More From Cooking Light
- Calories: 95
- Calories from fat: 16%
- Fat: 1.7g
- Saturated fat: 0.7g
- Monounsaturated fat: 0.4g
- Polyunsaturated fat: 0.3g
- Protein: 15.9g
- Carbohydrate: 2.4g
- Fiber: 0.2g
- Cholesterol: 82mg
- Iron: 1.4mg
- Sodium: 297mg
- Calcium: 76mg
- 1 teaspoon butter or stick margarine
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 4 ounces chicken livers
- 2 tablespoons port or other sweet red wine
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Dash of ground cinnamon
- Dash of ground allspice
- 1 tablespoon low-fat sour cream
- 1 pound boned, skinned chicken breast, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 (8-ounce) block fat-free cream cheese, cubed and softened
- Cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 325°.
- Melt butter in a small nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add onion and garlic, and sauté 4 minutes. Add chicken livers; cook 2 minutes or until livers lose their pink color. Add port, and cook 3 minutes or until most of liquid evaporates. Cool.
- Place chicken liver mixture, salt, and next 5 ingredients (salt through allspice) in a food processor or blender; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Add the sour cream, chicken breast, and cream cheese; process until smooth, scraping sides of bowl occasionally. Spread chicken mixture into an 8 x 4-inch loaf pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 325° for 1 hour or until a thermometer registers 170°. Cool; cover and chill 8 hours. Serve at room temperature.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
Country Chicken Pâté Recipe at a Glance
- COURSE: Appetizers, Dips/Spreads
- CONVENIENCE: Entertaining, Make-Ahead, Portable/Picnic
- CUISINE: French
- MAIN INGREDIENT: Dairy, Vegetables, Poultry
- DIETARY CONSIDERATION: Low Carbohydrate, Low Saturated Fat
- COOKING METHOD: Blender, Food Processor, Bake
- OCCASION: Super Bowl, Valentine's Day
- PUBLICATION: Cooking Light