- 2 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 6 white bread slices
- 1/2 cup butter or margarine
- 2 large onions, chopped
- 4 large celery ribs, chopped
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2 recipes Basic Cornbread, crumbled
- 1 (16-ounce) can cream-style corn
- 2 cups corn chips, coarsely crushed
- 2 (16-ounce) cans hot tamales, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh or 1 tablespoon dried sage
How to Make It
Spread 2 tablespoons butter evenly on bread slices; place on a baking sheet.
Bake at 350° for 25 minutes or until crisp; cut into 1/2-inch cubes.
Melt 1/2 cup butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat; add onion and celery, and sauté until tender. Add broth; bring to a boil. Pour mixture into a large bowl; stir in bread cubes and cornbread. Cover and let stand 20 minutes.
Fold in corn and remaining ingredients. Spoon into 1 lightly greased 13- x 9-inch baking dish and 1 lightly greased 11- x 7-inch baking dish.
Bake at 350° for 35 minutes or until golden.