These were the best texture and tasting shortcakes that I've ever had. I will never make regular shortcakes again. I sliced a shortcake in half spooned the 2 halves with sliced, sugared strawberries; whipped cream and a little honey drizzled on top (the honey was my daughter's idea) delish!
More From Southern Living
Bake: 18 Minutes
- 1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup plain yellow cornmeal
- 6 tablespoons cold butter, cut into pieces
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2/3 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sugar
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. Combine first 7 ingredients in a food processor. Process mixture 20 seconds or until mixture resembles coarse sand. Transfer mixture to a large bowl.
- 2. Whisk together egg and cream; add to flour mixture, stirring just until dry ingredients are moistened and a dough forms.
- 3. Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface, and knead 3 to 4 times.
- 4. Transfer dough to a lightly greased baking sheet. Pat or roll dough into a 6-inch circle. Cut into 6 wedges; gently separate wedges by 1 inch. Brush tops with melted butter. Sprinkle with 1 1/2 tsp. sugar.
- 5. Bake at 425° for 18 to 23 minutes or until golden and firm to touch.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note
More Recipes for Desserts