Cornmeal Piñon Shortcakes with Berries and Lime Cream
Notes: To gild the lily, top shortcakes with whipped cream sweetened with a little caramel syrup and curled strips of lime peel.
Yield: Makes 8 servings
More From Sunset
Amount per serving
- Calories: 542
- Calories from fat: 33%
- Protein: 11g
- Fat: 20g
- Saturated fat: 11g
- Carbohydrate: 84g
- Fiber: 5.7g
- Sodium: 402mg
- Cholesterol: 74mg
- About 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup cornmeal
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- About 5 tablespoons butter or margarine
- 1/3 cup caramel ice cream topping
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon half-and-half (light cream) or milk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup pine nuts
- 2 tablespoons firmly packed brown sugar
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 can (14 oz.) sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 teaspoons grated lime peel (green part only)
- 1/4 cup lime juice
- 2 cups raspberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups blueberries, rinsed and drained
- 2 cups blackberries, rinsed and drained
- 1. In a bowl, mix 1 1/2 cups flour, cornmeal, baking powder, and salt. With pastry blender or fingers, cut or rub in 5 tablespoons butter until largest lumps are 1/4-inch pieces.
- 2. In another bowl, beat to blend caramel topping, 1/3 cup half-and-half, and egg. Pour into flour mixture and stir just until moistened.
- 3. Pat dough into a ball. Knead on a lightly floured board just until smooth, about 10 turns; add flour to board as required to prevent sticking.
- 4. Pat dough into a 6 1/2-inch round. Cut into 8 wedges and place pieces about 1 inch apart on a nonstick or lightly buttered 12- by 15-inch baking sheet.
- 5. Brush shortcake wedges with remaining 1 tablespoon half-and-half. Combine pine nuts with sugar and cinnamon; gently pat onto shortcakes.
- 6. Bake in a 375° oven until dark gold, 22 to 25 minutes. Cool on a rack.
- 7. In a bowl, mix sweetened condensed milk, sour cream, and lime peel with lime juice to make lime cream.
- 8. Split shortcakes in half. Place each bottom on a dessert plate. Combine raspberries, blueberries, and blackberries and spoon equally over shortcake bottoms. Spoon lime cream over berries, then place shortcake tops on cream.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note