1. Cut 3 inches from top of each artichoke, using a serrated knife. Discard top portion. Remove and discard leaves from bottom portions of artichokes. Trim green skin from sides and stems, using a paring knife, being careful to leave stem ends intact. Cut each artichoke lengthwise into fourths. Remove and discard chokes.
2. Pour oil to a depth of 3 inches into a Dutch oven; heat over medium-high heat to 350°.
3. Combine cornmeal, salt, and pepper in a shallow bowl. Whisk together buttermilk and egg in another bowl.
4. Toss artichokes in flour. Dip in egg mixture, and dredge in cornmeal mixture, shaking off excess.
5. Fry artichokes, in batches, in hot oil 5 minutes or until tender and golden brown. Drain on a wire rack over paper towels. Serve with Mayo Mixtures.
Fast Fried Artichokes: Substitute 2 (14-oz.) cans artichoke bottoms, rinsed and drained, for fresh artichokes. Reduce salt to 1 tsp. Pat artichokes dry with paper towels; cut each into fourths. Proceed with recipe as directed, beginning with Step 2. Makes 4 to 6 servings; Prep: 15 min., Fry: 5 min. per batch.