Cornmeal-Cumin-crusted Shrimp with Red Pepper-Chipotle Dipping Sauce
Howard L. Puckett
- 1 1/4 pounds large unpeeled fresh shrimp
- 1/3 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced chipotle peppers in adobo sauce
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons ground cumin
- Peanut oil
- Red Pepper-Chipotle Dipping Sauce
- Garnish: lemon wedges, fresh cilantro
- Peel shrimp, and devein, if desired; set aside.
- Combine cornstarch and salt in a large zip-top plastic bag. Whisk together egg whites and peppers in a shallow dish. Combine cornmeal and cumin in a shallow dish.
- Place shrimp in bag with cornstarch mixture; shake to coat well. Dip in egg white mixture, and roll in cornmeal mixture. Fry shrimp, in batches, in 2 inches hot oil (350°) until golden. Serve with Red Pepper-Chipotle Dipping Sauce, and garnish, if desired.
Only you will be able to view, print, and edit this note.Add Note